Have you heard a slight, or even loud, humming noise in your power points recently? No, there isn’t a problem with your hearing, but there may be a bigger issue that could start a fire in your home or even worse; harm a loved one.
There are a few explanations for buzzing power points that range from an easy fix to more complex resolutions. Below, we have listed for you a few of these causes and what should be done to fix them.
What’s Causing That Humming Noise in Your Power Point?
A Faulty Appliance
Sometimes the buzzing sound can originate in appliances rather than the actual power point. If you notice scorch marks, the appliance overheating or have other reasons to suspect a faulty appliance to be the cause, you must discontinue use and either have it repaired or replaced.
If it’s not an appliance causing your power point to hum, the next likely culprit – especially in older houses – is often faulty wiring.
Loose and/or deteriorated wiring can cause the outlet to overheat, which can lead to fire or dangerous electrical shocks if not fixed as soon as possible.
A Deteriorated Power Point
As your home ages, so too do your power points. If the sockets begin to deteriorate, or are collecting dirt and dust, it can cause a fault in the connection and they will need to be replaced as soon as possible.
An overloaded circuit can also be the cause for that humming noise in your power point and will often be accompanied by safety switch tripping.
There can be a number of causes for a circuit overload ranging from the use of too many appliances at once, a faulty appliance, or non-compliant components.
In any case, it’s always a good idea to have an electrician pin point the problem for you and address it as soon as possible.
How to Go About Fixing the Problem
A licensed professional must always carry out the repair or replacement of electrical outlets. However, it’s usually out of regular working hours by the time you notice one of these issues. In the case where waiting until morning just won’t do, feel free to contact us on 0484 222 888 and take advantage of our round the clock 24 hour emergency electrical services.